Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I GOT TOWED

From a friend's apartment complex parking lot. Yup. Miserable, right? Well, why am I posting about it then, you may rightfully inquire. Because it, actually, WASN'T. Miserable I mean. Obviously I was bummed at the $150 I had to fork over, and kicking myself for not checking closer at the parking rules, but what was astonishing about this experience was how traumatic it WASN'T. Let me explain why.

Lately, it's been kind of a pile-up of stress and trials. I'm not gonna whine, it happens to all of us, and I'm learning to weather the storms like the amazing people that have gone before me. So you would think this would be the drop that made the cup overflow, the straw that breaks the camel's back, that last squirt of perfume that you kind of knew would be too much but sprayed on anyways and now it's too late to take back and you're overwhelming everyone around you...you get my drift. But in fact, I felt utterly amused by the whole thing. It was perfect comedic timing. I may just be in denial, who knows, I may wake up tomorrow totally ticked that it happened, but right now, I feel like shrugging, laughing, throwing back my head and mispronouncing "se la vi" are my honest reactions! This confused me.

But I'm grateful. :) Because I wouldn't want to deal with the stress of caring about being towed right now. So what, I got towed once, I know better for next time. And I even learned a lesson.

I was taking the offensive with the tow guy, using Dad's United Airlines voice, ya know? But then I realized, this guy has an all-night tow job, probably low-wage, and the only calls he ever gets are people who are furious at him/blaming him. I softened and tried to be more courteous. I had a dozen or so flashbacks of people being rude/impatient in DC and realized, I don't want to be that person. I want to be polite! (Not that Dad isn't - he's my hero, honestly, and I've learned some good lessons from him). But it really wasn't this tow guy's fault. Once I softened, we had a pretty good conversation. Soooooo it was a good day. :)

2 comments:

Greg and Michelle said...

You are my hero today Mindy :) I love you! I hope things get easier soon!

Celeste Elaine said...

I love the wit with which you use "drift" and perfume in the same sentence. Nice writing.

Sad day about the towing. I am glad that you found your own self in talking with the towing guy. Maybe he learned something from it too.