Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Shopping Woes

Okay, I'm grateful for our family's tradition of drawing names so that we only have to buy for one person. It makes the shopping easier on my creative juices and wallet. But I always seem to be stuck with the hardest people to shop for. This year is NO exception. Not only that, but I have had boys as my people for the last 4 years. Joel, Dan, Adam, and then Aaron. Isn't that funny? ;) Some say boys are easier to shop for because they are more easily contented, but I find it easier to give gifts to girls because I relate to them better.

I was thinking back to past Christmases and some of my favorite gifts that have come as a result of the name-drawing. I came up with a few classics:

*Michelle's leather pants from Aaron-the subsequent tears that resulted
*When Dan had me and gave me ONE SHOE.
*When Dan had Michelle and gave her a can of applesauce from the food storage. (I believe he gave her a real gift later.)
*When Dan had me (wow, dan! you've made the classics three times) and gave me a box of dollar-tree treasures, including a baseball calendar, a rubber mallet, those stones you stick in fishtanks, and a huge plastic doorbell in the shape of red lips. I took those to spanish 1 class with senior landers and they were confiscated.
*When I gave Aaron a rugby ball last year but he didn't read the nametag so he assumed it was from our parents and said "Thanks, Mom and Dad!". Kind of awkward, because I didn't want to say "umm...actually..."
*That Christmas when Marie and Adam were first married and exchanged a great plenty of gifts
*Joel's cute cardboard constructions...tender!

Can't think of any more at the moment...does anyone else have input?

2 comments:

merilee said...

Well, I remember a certain very memorable white elephant gift from Aaron that got passed around on New Year's Eve last year, but we won't talk about that one.

Mom

Nathan said...

Melinda, as it turned out, I was the lucky "difficult" one that you drew this year and you did great. The good news is that you probably won't draw a boy's name for the next 20 years. Thanks for babysitting yesterday--Isaac had a blast.