Friday, September 28, 2012

Of Lightning and Laughter

Second post of the "Seek the Good" project, my way of keeping zeal for life during an emotionally challenging grad program! I have a couple of tender mercies to document that have been keeping me going today. :)

Firstly, last night we had an amazing lightning storm. I saw electric yellow webs of lightning in a purple sky (pretty Halloweeny!) on the way home from institue, it was so cool. Our house shook and we heard the roar of wind rushing into the atmosphere's burned-up space. Meanwhile, my roommate was baking banana bread. We bonded over the rain, and had our first good chat. Like, seriously, we were laughing and talking for a good 30 minutes! I was reminded how much I need people, and how much I need laughter! I felt so filled up, it was fantastic. My roommate is 38, and she was telling me all about how technology was in her day, how they used to have to rent VHS players from the video store and how confused she first was with the concept of "electronic mail." That's where I was cracking up. It reminded me of this clip:



Speaking of electronics, last night (while I was BRUSHING MY TEETH), this:


fell into this...

and did THAT. 

Not really. But it is broken, and I've been laughing on and off about it all day. Mostly, I've been laughing at how willing I was in that moment to thrust my hand into a toilet - that's a new one for me. 

Anyways, lightning and laughter made it a pretty good day. :) And if anyone wants to get in touch with me, texting is the only thing that works right now. I'm going to have me some buff thumbs. 


1 comment:

Greg and Michelle said...

WOW - you should get a medal for phone toilet rescue. Yikes! Your new phone! So sad!!!! I hope that it revives soon! Glad you got to bond over rain :) Love you!