Thursday, September 27, 2012

The "Seek the Good" Project

Hi all. :) I've been absent from the blogosphere for a few months. Explanation? I've graduated from BYU, moved to VA, and started grad school at VA Tech. Let's get one thing straight: I really like grad school! I love the emphasis on becoming something through your studies, as opposed to cramming information for a test and forgetting it the next day. It's been a big adjustment and it's a lot of work, but it's a blessing to be learning about something I feel so passionate about. And, for the first time, I really do like reading my textbooks! Woohoo!!

Still, it's been a big change moving from Provo, where your ward and your support system is built in all around you, to an area where the LDS folks are more spread out and isolated. I do have a great ward, it's just trickier to put down roots here (I guess this is real life! Your best friends aren't always going to live two doors down!). My roommates are fantastic, but quite busy, so often I spend my nights at home studying. It can get pretty quiet around here! Thank goodness for my boyfriend Dave, who skypes with me for hours every day.

I have a plan to take care of this isolation. I'm going to FHE, institute, volunteering for every church activity I can - I'm slowly but surely building a support system, which I'm coming to find is CRUCIAL to success in the marriage and family therapy field. It is pretty draining to study emotional issues and observe therapy sessions all day. I'm learning early on the importance of taking care of yourself first! So I'm going to reach out to the people in my ward more and hopefully start doing some really fun things with them.

As part of my plan to keep upbeat and not lose the zeal I always want to have for life, I'm going to start what I want to call the "Seek the Good" project. Lately I've felt overwhelmed by how many dark things there are in the world and how Satan really has a hold on so many people. I just want to remind myself of how much good there is all around me and how light always triumphs over darkness.

So what this boils down to: every day I'm going to be sharing a little inspirational something on my blog (a picture, a video, something I love, something that has helped me) to encourage me to seek the good and to acknowledge my blessings. I hope that light and truth will become a theme of this blog.

For my first post in the "Seek the Good" project, I want to share with you this beautiful song. I've been a little scared in my house lately - it's dark, I'm alone, I'm not sure who the people in my neighborhood are, etc. I prayed and read the scripture, "No weapon formed against thee shall prosper." What a comforting phrase! It's been running through my head ever since. Anyways, I found this song on my brother's Ipod, and I've been listening to it as I go to sleep. It makes me feel calm and safe and protected, almost like I'm a kid again and Heavenly Father is calming me after a bad dream.



Much love and thanks to my amazing family, who are the best support system I could ever have. :)

1 comment:

Greg and Michelle said...

I love you! I am so glad that you like school - and so proud of you for pursuing it and for doing so many good things to keep your light burning bright. You have always lit up my life, Mindy - you are amazing, really. I love you so much! I agree with you - "Grace" makes me feel like a child again, and feel like I am being hugged :)